Common Signs That Your Home Has An Electrical Fault

Posted on: January 16th, 2019 by admin No Comments

Electrical problems are a major cause for house fires across the UK, and keeping your household electrics in good working order is the only way to avoid serious risk to your health, safety and property. There are some common signs of electrical faults that can be overlooked and ignored. If you’re concerned that your home has an electrical fault, keep an eye out for these common signs so that you can get professional help as soon as possible and ensure you keep your family safe.

a picture of a bulb and ideas about common electrical problems in your home

 

 

 

Common Signs That Your Home Has An Electrical Fault

 

Circuit Breakers Trip Regularly

If you live in a newer home you’ll likely have a circuit breaker in place to protect your household from electric shocks. If a surge happens, the circuit breaker trips and stops the flow of electricity automatically. This isn’t unusual and doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an electrical fault, you can just turn the circuit breaker back on via the switch panel. However, a circuit breaker tripping regularly is an indication that your home is suffering from frequent surges and this is a common sign that there is a problem with the electrics in your house. There could be too many high amp appliances being used in your home or there could be a fault in the wiring which will need to be looked at by a trained electrician.

Shocks From Outlets

An outlet that shocks you, no matter how small, is a sign of danger. No outlet, switch or wire should give you a shock of any kind, in fact, that is the complete opposite of what it’s meant to do. This is a clear indicator that the outlet is faulty or damaged and should be looked at as soon as possible. Failing to get this fixed can lead to serious injury and death, or at the very least can seriously damage any appliances that are plugged into the outlet. If you find that an outlet that shocks you is also sparking when appliances are plugged into it, this is definitely causing for an emergency electrician. In any case, where an electrician has to look at an outlet it’s a good idea to get the wiring around the outlet checked too.

Noisy Or Discoloured Outlets

Any switch or outlet that makes noise or shows signs of discolouring shouldn’t be used and needs to be looked at by an electrician. Faulty wiring or a loose connection can cause the switch or outlet to short, causing a buzzing sound or turning the outlet or switch to go yellow, brown or black. These are both signs of a serious electrical risk that can cause death by electrocution as well as electrical fires. Don’t ever try to fix a noisy or discoloured outlet yourself.

Smelly Outlets

A smelly plug outlet is another sure sign of an electrical problem. While a new appliance might have a slight smell the first time you plug it in, there shouldn’t be a strong, long-lasting or persistent smell coming from any outlet in your home. If you find a particular outlet continues to smell, it must not be used. It will need to be checked by an electrician as soon as possible and not touched or used until it has been fixed. If you smell any kind of electrical burning, plastic burning or acrid smell, this could be a sign of an electrical fire. Electrical fires don’t always start at the outlet, they can also start inside your walls.

Flickering Lights

If you find that your lights are flickering a lot, or that they seem to dim intermittently when turned on, this is another common sign that there is a faulty wire or overloaded circuit in your lights. This could mean that the lighting in your home will need rewiring, which is illegal to attempt yourself. You will need to get a qualified electrician to come in and rewire your home.

Electrical Inspections From First Strike

Regular electrical inspections and tests are recommended to check the wiring and outlets in your house remain safe. To ensure that all of your electrical wiring and electric circuits in your home are in full working order, book an electrical inspection from a professional. This will ensure that you avoid any electrical hazards caused by faults that you were not aware of. If you notice any of the common signs of an electrical fault mentioned here, it’s worth contacting us for advice. To find out more or to book an electrical inspection, give First Strike Electrical a call on 0203 633 4536. Alternatively, fill out a contact form on our website and a member of the team will be in touch as soon as possible.

We're On Our Way

*Plus VAT & Parking. Weekend & Evening Prices may vary.

Testimonials

“I have used First Strike on many occasions to sort out electrical problems at my Paddington flat. Most recently when my heated towel rail failed. They diagnosed the problem quickly helped us organise the replacement and when it arrived were on site the same day to fit it. A great service. They have never let me down.”

by J. Price

"I highly recommend First Strike electrical. Electrician was punctual, very thorough, and extremely professional. All problems sorted quickly. Will definitely use these guys again."

by A. Smith

"Great service! I was really happy with the service that First Strike Electrical gave, they was extremely professional, friendly and polite. They completed the electrical wiring in my new extension. I was very please with the work that was completed. I highly recommend First Strike Electrical for any of you electrical needs."

by M. Allen

"We called First Strike Electrical for an emergency. Alex our electrician was very helpful and knew exactly what the problem was and fixed our wiring."

by L. Smith

"Amazing, called casually about a job, and 2 and a half hours later everything is fixed, with utmost politeness and minimum of fuss. Would highly recommend and if I ever have a problem in the future they'll be first on my list of people to call."

by J. Oby

"I have just used First Strike to sort our problems with my telephone at home. The job was done promptly and efficiently and I would certainly use the company again."

by R. Noble

"I've been using First Strike for years. A good and completely reliable electrician is hard to find. First Strike turn up when they say, complete the job thoroughly and explain to the ignorant the what and the why. Whether it's been planned jobs or emergency response, they've never let me down. Stick them on your list. Very highly recommended."

by B. Wood

"I had severe water damage in my kitchen and the whole room needed to be refurbished from scratch. I did most of the work myself but required someone to come in and put in all of the electrics, so I called First Strike. They came in and quoted me a great price for the work and then carried it all out in a fast and high quality manner. Thank you so much for great service!"

by N. Sky

"We are very pleased with the service from First Strike Electrical. They were on time and dealt with the problem at hand very professionally. We highly recommend their services to others."

by K. Thompson

Back to Top