Below, we’ve outlined some of the common things that can put your electrical safety at risk in an office, and suggested ways to reduce them:
Never overload a plug as this will increase the risk of electric shocks and electrical accidents. Also, remember to never plug an extension lead into another extension lead. Where possible, try not to use extension leads and instead ensure that you have enough sockets to accommodate for the amount of equipment you need to use in the office. You could also organise the layout of your office in a way that takes advantage of your existing mains sockets to reduce the need for extensions.
Electrical Safety with Wires
Electrical equipment can also cause risks that don’t involve shocks or fires. If you have a lot of equipment in your office, you’re likely to have a lot of wires too. If there are wires in the open areas of your office, they pose the risk of staff tripping over. To reduce that risk, make sure wires are tucked away under desks. Faulty wires can also make equipment hazardous, and increase the risk of electric shocks.
Do you have a kitchen in your office? Be aware of kitchen equipment becoming faulty. Equipment such as microwaves and toasters are particularly prone to fires if they become faulty and are still being used. If you do notice that an appliance has become faulty, get it fixed or replaced. Also, avoid using the appliances near water as this can increase risks of electric shocks.
If you still think your electrical safety could be at risk in your office, book in an electrical inspection! At First Strike Electrical, we can offer electrical inspections. Get in touch with us by filling out a contact form or call us on 0203 633 4536.